Thursday, December 15, 2011

Questioning Feminism


As you guys know, I'm in grad school and my ethics class has reawakened an interest in gender equality.  It was that sexual harassment project.  I'd like to say that it was smart, but I'm starting to think it was more naive, I started the journey looking at feminist websites.  I quickly began to notice that many feminists minimized and at times denied injustices toward men.  I started identifying as an MRA.  Other classes came along and I started to consider that I might simply be misunderstanding their position.  I realize that feminists aren't homogenous, but there should still be a main stream philosophy or general consensus.  I understand their argument that resources like time and energy are limited so if male victims are not specifically acknowledged, that should not translate into feminists not being concerned with male victims.  I started to think that maybe the divide between feminists and MRAs was not that wide.  That maybe feminism did move from advancing rights for women to championing gender equality.  Like any good academic, I decided to ask feminists what they thought.  I started with some letters to ask Amy on feminist.com.   They didn't get answered.  That is not a problem.  Let me check the blogs.  I found an open forum on alas a blog at amptoons.com.  You can follow the discussion here

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/2011/12/08/open-thread-if-this-scene-were-in-a-novel-people-would-call-it-pc-fantasy/

I checked and the blog doesn't appear to generate ad revenue through traffic so it's safe to visit.  I would still like to get some answers to my questions.  I don't think I'll get any there because I got Ampersand's panties in a bunch.  Sorry for outing you Ampersand.  I feel I can be a little snarkier on my blog.  So if any one has any answers to those questions, please drop me a comment.  I'll post more questions on my own blog later.  It doesn't bode well that feminists counter facts and well reasoned arguments with names and censure.
Ampersand, dude, you know I was kidding about the panties thing.  You can comment on my blog.  I won't even call you names.    

No comments:

Post a Comment